- Anthea Hamilton Reimagines Kettle's Yard
- Approaching Thunder: 1940s British Prints and Drawings
- György Gordon: From Hungary to Yorkshire, 1924-2005
- The Hepworth Family Gift/Hepworth at Work
- A Contemporary Collection
- Opening March 2017 - DISOBEDIENT BODIES: J.W.ANDERSON AT THE HEPWORTH WAKEFIELD
- Opening June 2017 - Howard Hodgkin: Painting India
- Opening October 2017 - Alina Szapocznikow
Medieval Stone Carving Workshop
Saturday 14 November, 10.30am - 4pm, £75 (members £56.25)
During this one day intensive workshop, participants will work with acclaimed stone carver Melanie Wilks to produce a relief carving from Maltese limestone using the traditional techniques employed by Medieval stone-masons.
In the morning participants will be taken to the Chantry Chapel, one of the few surviving medieval bridge chapels conveniently located opposite the gallery, to learn about the fine craftsmanship of the medieval stone carvers who created its intricately detailed facade. You will then work in The Calder where you will be given your own workstation, specialist tools and a block of limestone to carve. You can either choose to carve one of Melanie's template designs- based on animal and plant forms found in nature or medieval designs from the facade of the Chantry Chapel, or you can choose to work on a design of your own making. At the end of the day you will have learnt the skills of stone carving and should have a finished piece to display at home or in the garden.
Participants will be working in The Calder, our gallery space in a converted mill building adjacent to the main gallery. This space can be cool in the winter months so please dress warmly and bring a pair of gloves.