- David Storey, 1933 - 2017
- New exhibition features photographs of Yorkshire school children wearing fashion pieces by designers including Issey Miyake and Vivienne Westwood
- The Hepworth Wakefield win at ACE Best Product Awards 2017
- Statement from The Hepworth Wakefield on the death of Howard Hodgkin
- The winner of the Hepworth Prize for Sculpture People's Choice Award
David Storey, 1933 - 2017
It is with great sadness that we heard the news of the death of the acclaimed author and playwright David Storey. Born and brought up in Wakefield he was a true polymath – playing professional rugby for Leeds whilst studying fine art at the Slade school in London, writing highly acclaimed novels and plays while creating throughout his life a significant body of drawings and paintings.
Last year The Hepworth Wakefield was honoured to work with David’s family to display for the first time over 400 small-scale drawings created by David in the latter years of his life. It introduced his wide-ranging creativity, nurtured in Wakefield, to a large new audience. Our thoughts are with David’s family at this emotional and difficult time. He leaves a very significant artistic legacy of which Yorkshire and the whole country can be proud.